Did  you  Know ?

The  land  on  which  the  church now stands  was  bought in 1911  and  the presbytery  was  built  in  1912.  The  remainder  of  the site  was   cultivated  as  allotments  by  two  parishioners --  Mr  Michael  Harrington  and  Mr  Jeremiah  Canty. 


In  1917  Monsignor  H  Irvine  became  parish  priest  and  began  to  raise  funds  for  the  building  of  the  new  church.  It  was  not  until  1926  that  enough  money  was  raised  to  enable  the  first  steps  towards  the  building  of  the  new  church  could  take  place.


 The  architects  were  D C Goldie and  Partners  of  Westminster  and   the  contract  for  the  building  was  awarded  to  E  Turner  and  Sons  of  Havelock  Place,  Grangetown,  who  promised  to  employ  as  much  local  labour  as  possible. However,  the  next  four  years  were  to prove  a  nightmare  for  the  parishioners  and  builders  alike. 


Turners  appointed  a  parishioner,  Mr  George  Barnett  ( father of parishioner Mary  McAleavy)  as  their  general  foreman at  the  new  Church  site.  He  lived  in  Llanmaes  Street,  just  two  doors  away  and  was  able  to  pass  on  much  information  about  the  building,  especially  the  problems  the  builders  experienced  in  reaching  a  ‘solid bottom’  on  which  to  lay  the  foundations.


As  they  dug  deeper  through  the  mud,  they  came  across  skeletons  of  fish  and  crabs,  which  show  that  at  some time  in  the  past,  sea  water ( probably  tides)  covered  the  ground.


Below  where  the  piety  stall  is,  extra  deep  foundations  were  built  to  support  the  planned  (  but  never  built)  bell  tower. 


By  the  end  of  1928  the  foundations  and  footings  were  well  advanced ,  although  the  increased  cost  of  having  to  excavate  so  deeply  was  causing  some  concern  to  both  the  Architect  and  Canon  Garrett,  the  now  Parish  Priest,   as  correspondence  which  passed  between  them  at  the  time  shows.


Matters  were  made  worse  as  Britain  moved  ever  more deeply   into  Depression,  and  unemployment  rose  rapidly  which had  an  adverse  effect  on  Parish  income  and  its  ability  to  finance  the  building  costs.


The  foundation  stone  which  is on the left  just  outside  the  front  door  of  the  Church  was  laid  by  Doctor  Dennis  Cantillon  in  the  presence  of  Archbishop  Mostyn  and  about  4,000  men  from  all  the  Catholic  Parishes  of  Cardiff on  the  Feast Day  of  St  Patrick  March  17th  1929.

From  then  on  work  proceeded  very  quickly,  and  exactly  one  year  later, on  St  Patrick’s  Day  1930,  the  new  Church  was  opened.

The  total cost  of  the  building  excluding  that  of  the  High  Altar,  Communion  Rails  and  Pulpit  was  £11,800  and  there  was  accommodation  for  750  people.  The  High  Altar,  Communion  Rails  and  Pulpit  were  donated  by  the  Cantillon  Family  to  whom  they  are  a  memorial.


The  Western  Mail  of  Tuesday  March  18th  1930,  reporting  on  the  opening  ceremony  of  the  previous  day  said  that 

“The  style  has  been  kept  as  simple  and  as  free  from  ornament  as  possible,  but  there  is  scope  for  future  decoration.”           

Indeed  there  was  scope  for  future decoration,  but,  the  extra cost of  the  foundations and a short-fall  of  money  generally  ,  had  caused  the  Parish  Priest,  Canon  Garrett, to  remove  almost  every  item  of  decoration from  the  final  scheme including  the  provision of side-altars.  Both  the  Sacred  Heart  and    Our  Lady's  Altar  were  brought  from  the  old  church  and  even  the  organ  was  a  second-hand one  bought  from a private house in Dinas Powis.

In a very sad letter  to  Canon Garrett  from the architect,  Mr  Downie  explained  that  the  removal  of  the  bell-tower would  not  bring  about  the  savings  that  Canon  had  hoped  for  because  most  of  the  cost  was  in  the  foundations which  were  already  in  place.   

However,  many  of  the  parishioners  were  of  the  view  that  the  beauty  of  the  new  Church  lay  in  its  very  simplicity  and  lack  of  ornamentation  which  seemed  to  focus  attention  on  the  magnificent  High  Altar.

We  look  at  this  Altar  every  time  we  come  to  Church,  but  do  we  see  what  is  there?   It  is  constructed  of  Portand  Stone  and  Marble.  The  back  panels  on  either  side  of  the  Tabernacle contain  eight  mosaics  showing  the  final  hours  of  Jesus'  life  before  the  Crucifixion.

The  altar  rails  consisted  of  Portland  Stone  arches,  topped  with  marble  slabs.

The  pulpit   was  very  impressive.  Its  platform  held  up  with  stone  and  marble  colums  contained  three  large  mosaics.  To  the  front  a  large  mosaic  contained  the  monogram  I H S which  is  another  name  for  Jesus.  The  side  mosaics  were  representations  of  Saints  Matthew,  Mark,  Luke  and  John,  the  writers  of  the  four  Gospels  which  were  proclaimed  from  the   pulpit.

Dr  Cantillon's  generosity  to  St  Patrick's  Church  did  not  end  with  his  death.  In  his  will  he  provided  a  small  income  to  the  Parish,  which  is  why  from  time  to  time  you  will  see  in  the  Mass  intentions,  in  the  newsletter,  a  mass  for  the  Cantillon  family.

At  the  opening  of  the  Church  the  estimated  number  of  parishioners  was  4,000,  there  were  three  resident  priests  and  four  Masses  each  Sunday.

Footnote:    In  1971  when  the  Church  was  remodelled ,  the  Communion  rails in  front  of  the  High  Altar were  taken  down  and  a  section   incorporated  into  the  design   of  the present   free-standing  altar.    The pulpit  was  also  taken  down  and  its  mosaic  panels  used  to  decorate  the  front  of  the  Sacred  Heart/ Blessed  Sacrament Altar,  next  to  the  Sacristy.  

The  opening  of our  new  Church  meant  that  plans  could  now  be  made  to  utilise  the  old  Church  building  (  which  adjoined  the  old  school)  in  Durham  Street  for  three  additional  classrooms.

The  sanctuary  became  the  Head  Teacher's  office  and  the  sacristy  was  converted  into  a  stock room.

The  new  rooms  were  used  by  the  senior  classes  and  went  some  way  to  ease  the  overcrowding  which  had  brought  criticism  from  the  school  inspectors  in  1927. 

Those  who  remember  the  old  church  will  be  interested  to  know  that  the  painted  panels  that  formerly  overhung  the  High  Altar  were  taken  down  and  remounted  in  the  assembly  hall  of  the  present  school  in  1979.

A  feature  of  the  new  Church  was  the  introduction  of  pew (bench)  rents,  where,  for  an  annual  payment,  parishioners  could  have  a  bench  or  part  of  a  bench  reserved  for  their  use.  These  benches  were  at  the  front  of  the  Church  and  had  name plates  on  them.  These  plates  were  removed  in  1955.



Canon  Garret,  the  parish  priest  died  in  1936  and  was  succeeded  by  Canon  Thomas  Phelan  who  came  from  St  Teilo's  Whitchurch.  One  of  his  first  decisions  was  to  discontinue  the  practice  of  some  parishioners  endowing  stained  glass  windows  in  memory  of  their  families,  on  the  grounds  that  'they  make  the  Church  gloomy.'

However,  Canon  Phelan  would  soon  have    far  more  serious  problems  to  contend  with.

Grateful  thanks  to  Mr  Joe  O'Reilly.

© 2016 produced by Christine German. Proudly created with Wix.com